What is erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) occurs when a man can’t get an erection to sex or can’t stay long enough during sex. This condition is also known as impotence. Erectile dysfunction can occur at any stage of life, but it is more common in men above 75 years of age.
Having erection problem from time to time isn’t necessarily a cause to worry about. If erectile dysfunction is an unending issue, however, it can lead to stress, affect self-confidence and contribute mainly to relationship problems. Having an erection can also be a symptom of an underlying health condition that needs treatment and a risk factor to heart disease.
As a man, if you notice any sign of erectile dysfunction, consult your doctor – even if you’re ashamed. In most times, treating an underlying condition is enough to stop ED. In other cases, medications or other direct treatments might be needed.
Erectile dysfunction symptoms are persistent:
· Trouble having an erection
· Trouble holding an erection
· Reduced sexual desire
Erectile dysfunction causes
Male sexual stimulation is a complicated process that involves the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels. ED can result in a problem from any of these. Likewise, stress and mental health issues can cause or worsen ED.
Sometimes the combination of physical and psychological issues causes ED. For instance, a minor physical condition that slows the sexual response hormone might cause anxiety maintaining an erection. The anxiety result can lead to or worsen ED.
Physical causes of erectile dysfunction
In most cases, ED is caused by physical factors which include:
· Heart disease
· Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
· High cholesterol
· High blood pressure
· Metabolic syndrome – a condition which increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
· Multiple sclerosis
· Uses of tobacco
· Peyronie’s disease – scar tissue development inside the penis
Ayurveda tips to overcome erectile dysfunction
Living a healthy lifestyle and managing any existing health conditions is the best way to prevent ED. For example:
· Consult a doctor to manage diabetes, heart disease or other related chronic health conditions.
· Visit the doctor for regular medical screening tests.
· Quit smoking, limit or avoid alcohol, and stop illegal drugs usage.
· Exercise regularly.
· Reduce stress.
· Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
· Have at least 8 hours sleep a day
· Practice Yoga and Meditation to overcome mental exertion and to cope up with stress
· Give a gap of four days between two consecutive intercourses
Psychological causes of erectile dysfunction
The brain plays an important role in generating the series of physical events that cause an erection, starting with feelings of sexual excitement. Some things can interfere with sexual emotion and cause or worsen ED. These include:
· Depression, anxiety or other mental health conditions
· Relationship problems due to stress, poor communication or other related issues
· Risk factors
· Erections might develop longer than expected as one gets older. You might need more hand robbing to your penis to get firm.
· Risk factors that contribute to ED, including:
· Medical conditions, mostly diabetes or heart issues
· Uses of tobacco, this prevents blood flow to veins and arteries, can also cause chronic health issues that lead to ED.
· Being overweight
· Medications, which include antidepressants, antihistamines
· Stress, anxiety or depression
· Drug and alcohol addiction
Erectile dysfunction complication includes:
· An unsatisfactory sexual life
· Low self-esteem
· Relationship issues
· Inability to get partner pregnant
Erectile dysfunction treatment
Erectile dysfunction treatment depends on the causes. After a medical test is carried out, problems and medicines factor that might cause ED will be indicated; then medicine can be recommended to help cure it. Listed below are some drugs that can help cure an erection:
Erectile dysfunction medicine
· Sildenafil (product name: Viagra)
· Tadalfil (product name: Cialis)
· Vardenafil (product name: Levitra)
ED is a complex problem to handle. Therefore it is important always to involve your partner and consult a doctor if you want to get out of this embarrassing situation. Another important issue to keep in mind is to avoid any self-medication at all cost as it might have a lethal outcome.
People are always reluctant to talk about this issue to others even to doctors. This is why it is important to address it openly.