What do you do when you get by a migraine? Head for home, batten down the hatches and wait it out? Or do you try and carry on as best you can?
Recent studies of the genetic make up related to less common types of migraines show that nearly sixty percent of those suffering from migraines have inherited their predisposition to migraines. The other forty percent of migraines are brought on by environmental conditions. So by rushing home and battening down the hatches you may in fact be making things worse if it is your home that is giving you the headache.
What steps can you take to ensure it is not your home that is causing your headache problems? You need to get rid of known problem areas and you should look out for:
- Mold, mildew, dust, dust mites and other common household allergens. Using a pure air filter and changing your synthetic sheets for cotton will help.
- Tobacco smoke can be a real problem. It does not matter whether the smoke is from cigarettes, cigars or even a pipe. Get rid of it. Make it a rule, no smoking in the house. If anyone wants to smoke in your house show them the door.
- Odorless, colorless and poisonous, carbon monoxide comes from fireplaces with little ventilation, furnaces, gas appliances or cars running in your garage. By installing carbon monoxide detectors near potential sources of the gas may save your life as well as prevent further migraines.
- Impure water. Installing a simple water filter for drinking water as a branch off your main water line or even just purchasing a filtering jug could radically reduce the frequency of your headaches.
- Chemicals and sprays used to eliminate household pests may be a catalyst for your migraines. Reducing your frequency of use or changing over to an organic form of pest control could help.
- Pet dander. Not only can pet dander be responsible for migraines in susceptible people but it can also be a health hazard in its own right if it ends up in your lungs.
- Household chemicals and cleaning solutions contain a variety of chemicals that may be instrumental in causing your headaches. Changing to natural or organic cleaning materials may help you to lessen or even get rid of your headaches.