It all started with a stupid courage test: an Australian ate a gecko. But a few days later, he was suffering from excruciating pain – it was a tragedy.
David Dowell was a nature boy, loved to fish and go on trips with his Bulli. But the greedy man of life was only 34 years old – because of a test of courage that cost him his life. It happened at a Christmas party in Brisbane, Australia. Dowell ate a gecko – with unimaginable consequences.
Dowell eats gecko: doctors can not save him
We do not know exactly how, even with the test of courage. But that ended with a little gecko and the man had to lose his life, as reported by the British news portal Mirror. Several days after the action, Dowell felt that something was wrong. He was finally treated at the hospital with excruciating pain. The diagnosis was quickly established: the 34-year-old patient was suffering from a salmonella infection,
Such a bacterial infection is often well treatable. However, Dowell had been infected with a pathogen that restricted vital functions and forced his lungs to fill with water flowing from his stomach. Doctors could not save him anymoreHe died ten days after the Christmas party, which plunged his partner Allira Bricknell into mourning. "He was a great person, the best person I knew, he was the best dad of our children," she said.
Read also: After the vegan spider bite only eats meat – why she swears on the new diet,
Salmonella infection can cause typhoid fever
When doctors began to research the root causes and asked the Dowell family how the deadly infectious disease had appeared, her partner, Allira Bricknell, recalled the gecko's courage test. The gecko's food could have triggered salmonella infection according to doctors,
In the process, bacteria, called salmonella, invade the body via infected food and cause various diseases, writes the Techniker Krankenkasse. The worst possible disease is typhus, which causes 200,000 deaths worldwide each year.Especially, people who live in countries where hygiene standards are bad are in danger.
In Germany, Salmonella infections are rather harmless. Salmonella species present in this country have in most cases a gastrointestinal infection, called gastroenteritisResult Symptoms such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea and fever speak of this disease, which can be treated effectively.
The following foods are considered potential carriers of Salmonella:
Egg products like mayonnaise
It might interest you tooAfter the chicken curry nightmare, a father must relearn how to walk.