A student "almost died" in the Rio Ferdinand's Rosso bar after an allergic reaction to a cocktail with a protein

One student states that she is almost dead from an allergic reaction to a cocktail party at Rio Ferdinand Bar.

Amelia Bates, 22, suffered anaphylactic shock following a sip in Rosso, Manchester.

The student, who is allergic to milk, eggs and nuts, did not know that his Ciroc Colada contained protein.

Her throat began to close and she needed emergency treatment at the hospital.

Amelia of Selby, North Yorks, said, "It was the worst reaction I ever had – if I had had a long sip, I could have died.

She did not notice on the beverage menu any warning that prompted guests with allergies to speak to the bar staff, who belonged to the former Rio footballer.

Amelia now calls for mandatory labeling of all beverage ingredients. She said: "I do not want to criticize Rosso, it's more like a modification of the law."

  • According to the NHS, anaphylaxis is a potentially life-threatening reaction to a trigger such as an allergy
  • Anaphylaxis usually develops suddenly and worsens rapidly
  • The symptoms are: drowsiness or fainting; Difficulty breathing – eg fast breathing and superficial breathing – wheezing; a fast heartbeat; wet skin; Confusion and fear and collapse or unconsciousness
  • There may also be other symptoms, including itching, rashes, nausea, swelling, or stomach pain.

If a person has symptoms of anaphylaxis, the NHS advises:

  • If available, use an epinephrine auto-injector (EpiPen). First, make sure you know how to use it properly
  • Call 999 immediately to get an ambulance (even if the patient feels better)
  • If possible, delete all impressions
  • Lay the person flat – unless they are unconscious, pregnant or have trouble breathing
  • Make another injection after 5-15 minutes if symptoms do not improve and that a second auto-injector is available
  • Do you have a story? RING THE SUN sure 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP sure 07423720250 or E-MAIL [email protected]

One student states that she is almost dead from an allergic reaction to a cocktail party at Rio Ferdinand Bar.