The 46-year-old fitness trainer was blind AND paralyzed after falling sick during a hellish vacation.

A woman recounted her horror of vacation after being paralyzed and blinded after a five-day break in Mexico.

Mary Catherine Derin was born with an excess of fluid in the brain, hydrocephalus, and had a shunt as a baby to relieve pressure.

More than four decades later, Ms. Derin noticed that her arms and legs were weakened when she celebrated the day of her marriage with her 48-year-old husband Tony in Mexico.

The woman, now aged 46, has declined her symptoms in the form of dehydration or the onset of the flu. But a few hours later, she was completely paralyzed from the waist down.

After returning home to Maryland, she was finally diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) to Ms. Derin, who occurs when the immune system attacks the nerve tissue.

Luckily, the former trainer then developed a blurred vision that is believed to be completely independent of her SGB.

The shunt that she wore was not working like a newborn, putting pressure on her optic nerve. Calvary made Mrs. Derin "legally blind" and she can only walk with a stick.

Regarding the test, Ms. Derin said, "It was assumed that my shunt disorder and Guillain-Barré syndrome were completely independent and only occurred at the same time."

"The doctors said that it was an extremely rare situation."

At the age of five, the doctors thought that Ms. Derin had lost her hydrocephalus and that she no longer needed her bypass, but he was not removed.

"I was born with hydrocephalus and had a shunt when I had 28 days," she said. "The shunt drained excess fluid from my brain."

Life lasted more than 40 years before Ms. Derin suddenly felt a weakness in May 2017 in Mexico.

"The morning after we arrived, I noticed a weakness in my arms and I gradually lost the feeling in my legs," she said. "I could not walk tonight.

"We thought we had the flu [but]Finally, we went to the doctor on the spot.

"He thought I was dehydrated, so he gave me a solution for infusion.When that did not help, we knew something was wrong."

Soon, Ms. Derin suffers from a "blurred vision," which she also attributes to the flu.

"I would only have moments when everything would go black and then become blurred again," she said.

Ms. Derin flew home, but needed "full support to do it all".

"In the past five days, I was unable to walk but completely paralyzed from the waist up," she said.

"When we got home, we went to the emergency room and, after eight hours of presence, I was admitted.

"They had a lumbar puncture and at that time they realized that I was suffering from Guillain-Barré Syndrome."

Doctors immediately began treating Ms. Derin's GBS with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) therapy.

This treatment consists of a blood donation containing healthy pathogen control proteins. These prevent harmful antibodies from damaging the nerves.

But the doctors were stunned, which made Mrs. Derin's vision blurry.

"After a few weeks, I moved to a new hospital in early June," she said.

"In one day, when I was admitted to a new hospital, I was completely blind.

"The neurosurgeon found that my shunt, which was no longer considered necessary, was still needed and had been malfunctioning for some time.

"It caused pressure on the optic nerves, killed them and caused my vision loss."

Ms. Derin was sent in emergency for a replacement of her shunt.

"They hoped the pressure would slowly decrease and my vision would come back over time," she said.

The operation relieved Ms. Derin's neck pain, but hardly improved her eyesight.

"Even though I had more pain, I was still blind and could not use my legs anymore," she said.

Ms. Derin spent three months in the hospital, where she regularly did physiotherapy to relearn how to walk.

"When I was fired, I could use a walker for short distances, but when we left, I still needed a wheelchair because I got tired very quickly," he said. she said.

"However, a month after my return, I was able to go home with a stick."

Six months later, Ms. Derin regained her sight, but her vision was still distorted.

She could not distinguish the different colors either and saw everything as a sieved brown.

More than two years after the incident, his health is not much better.

"I am legally blind and very weak in terms of reduced mobility," said Ms Derin.

"I had to change a lot of things I had done before, like that because of my blindness, I can not drive anymore, sometimes I just have to do things differently."

Ms. Derin also had to give up her career as a physical trainer.

"It was very difficult for me to lose as much power and not have the mobility I had before," she said.

"However, I am very grateful to have found a small part of my vision and can now walk again, knowing that I was completely blind and paralyzed in the hospital, from hip to toe. . "

Ms. Derin speaks to encourage people in difficulty to stay strong.

"Life does not offer roadblocks, but detours," she said. "It depends on your way of seeing things, it could always be worse."

More information can be found on the Instagram page and in Ms Derin's blog.