Low fat diet dramatically improves breast cancer survival

Does the diet affect the survival rate of breast cancer?

Researchers have now discovered that a low-fat diet as well as fruits and vegetables in women with postmenopausal breast cancer resulted in a significantly higher survival rate.

A recent study from the Los Angeles Institute of Biomedical Research (LA BioMed) found that a low-fat diet resulted in an increased survival rate for women with postmenopausal breast cancer . This discovery could save the lives of many women with the disease in the future.

48,835 women participated in the study

Between 1993 and 1998, the study collected data on 48,835 postmenopausal women aged 50 to 79 in 40 clinical centers in the United States. All participants did not have breast cancer at the beginning of the study. The women were divided into two groups, the first group following a normal diet and 60% of the participants. The remaining 40% of women were assigned to the second group. These participants consumed a low-fat diet containing more grains, fruits and vegetables.

How does the low fat diet work?

During the eight-and-a-half-year follow-up that followed, the women continued to eat the diet that had been assigned to them. There were fewer deaths from breast cancer in the low-fat diet group, which was statistically barely significant. However, the number of women who died of breast cancer for various reasons (not necessarily directly with cancer) was significantly lower in the group of women with a low-fat diet. This result was also observed at the follow-up examination on average 17 years later. More recently, after nearly 20 years of so-called follow-up examinations, the researchers found that the significant reduction in the number of breast cancer deaths was continuing. More importantly, they found a significant reduction in deaths directly related to breast cancer among women on a low-fat diet.

Some women have benefited more from low-fat diets

As a result, the author of the study, Dr. Chlebowski of LA BioMed and his team conclude that a low-fat diet, including increased consumption of vegetables, fruits and cereals, constitutes a effective way to reduce the risk of death from breast cancer in postmenopausal women. In doing so, this low-fat diet is even more effective at reducing the number of deaths from breast cancer in women with high waist circumference, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and / or diabetes.

"Our review is the only study to provide results of randomized clinical trials demonstrating that dietary interventions can reduce the risk of breast cancer death in a woman," Dr. Chlebowski said in a press release. The results of the study show that a low-fat diet is a simple and cost-effective method that can save many lives, said the study director. (As)

.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 310px; height: 300px; }
@media (min-width: 360px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 350px; height: 300px; }}
@media (min-width: 375px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 365px; height: 300px; }}
@media (min-width: 414px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 404px; height: 300px; }}
@media (min-width: 568px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 558px; height: 300px; }}
@media (min-width: 640px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 630px; height: 300px; }}
@ media (min-width: 667px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 657px; height: 300px; }}
@media (min-width: 736px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 726px; height: 300px; }}
@media (min-width: 800px) {.hg-content-responsive-1-1 {width: 620px; height: 300px; }}