A counselor relived the extraordinary moment she woke up coma thinking that she was "the Messiah" after a rare cerebral infection it has turned into "a different person." Convinced that she was "a messenger of God", although she is not religious, Evie Moore, 23, of Cirencester, Gloucestershire, was hospitalized for two months for treatment for encephalitis. , a serious inflammation of the brain.

"I remember lying on the floor next to my hospital bed and having created the sign of the cross," said Moore, who also temporarily forgot about the fact. his parents' identity after this situation – which has pushed the body's immune system to attack healthy brain cells – told PA Real Life. "Then, when the young doctor came to see me, I said to him," Hello, I am a messenger of God and I have been sent from heaven. "


Despite the fact that she no longer experiences religious delusion, Moore claims that encephalitis has changed her personality – making her less inhibited – and also accuses her of ending her first serious relationship.

"It's very upsetting because I feel that I'm getting better and that I'm returning to normal, but I know that something has changed and that mom and dad sometimes comment on things I could say before to not have done it, "she said. . "And, after breaking my last relationship, I stopped looking for love because I was afraid my illness would mean we just broke up."

Prior to September 2015, when she was suffering from encephalitis, Moore was a fit, healthy young woman who ate well and visited the gym regularly.

Living happy with her boyfriend while she does not wish to name in Stroud, and working as a customer service assistant in an energy company, a few months before the attack she started experiencing feelings of jealousy out of the character. and paranoia.

"In the three months that preceded my encephalitis, I became paranoid and started to get nervous about things that would not bother me normally," she said. "Without any reason, I really worried about what my boyfriend at the time was talking about with other girls, which never bothered me before." And looking back now it was clearly the beginning. "

His condition deteriorated rapidly at the end of September 2015, when Moore caught the flu and was confined to bed for a week.

At home alone while her boyfriend was out one night, she phoned her parents and, feeling that something was wrong, her father, Ivan, 53, an orthopedic engineer, immediately drove home and brought her back to the family home in a way.

"Mom and dad knew something was wrong with me because I was very anxious and upset," she said. "It was becoming clear that it was not just a flu, they were on hooks."


Then suddenly, Moore, who was then 20 years old, began to have a fit in their living room, her eyes rolling back in her eyes and her mouth foaming.

Frantic and unable to get her out of the crisis, her parents called an ambulance and the paramedics immediately defibrilled her once in the ambulance to give her a crush and bring her back to consciousness.

She was then transported to the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, 20 km from Gloucester, where she was in a coma for 48 hours to reduce the damage to her brain caused by the seizure. not certain.

"My memory from there has practically disappeared and I had to piece together what my parents and my younger sister, Ruby, 19, have said," she said. "But I remember coming to look at the bag of the probe at the end of my bed thinking," It's strange, I wonder what could have happened? and then feeling an excruciating pain from where I bit my tongue during the crisis. "

Totally disoriented, when her family came to visit her, she did not recognize them and was barely able to form sentences.

Gradually, more than a week in the hospital, his memory and his faculties returned with the help of steroids to reduce brain inflammation and Moore was allowed to return to the hospital. Which she shared with herthen-boyfriendd, having never received confirmation of what had prompted her. mysterious seizure.

Still confused, she was advised to have someone with her for the first two weeks and could not leave the apartment without being quickly overwhelmed to the point of being so overpowered that she had to flee to the house. inside.

"I've also started to have illusions," she said. "One time, I watched the information on television completely petrified, while I thought I was in the war zone on which they were reporting."

Things went awry a week after her return home when, lying in bed next to her boyfriend one night, she was suddenly struck by the thought that her mother Alison, 52, was dead.

"I sat upright and I was totally convinced that she was dead, as if someone had just told me, and I prepared to leave the apartment and to to go to my parents' house in the middle of the night, "she said. "It was clear then that I had to be hospitalized again."

Re-admitted to the Royal Gloucestershire Hospital, Moore diagnosed psychosis, a common symptom of encephalitis, which usually develops a few weeks after the initial attack.

"I became an animist," says Moore, who was finally diagnosed with encephalitis after two weeks of returning to the monitored hospital. "I did not know who I was, the doctors put me in a room and I could see the birds flying outside and I thought I could too. Desperately trying to jump out the window to steal and my father used all his strength to pull me back, I turned around and just shouted "F *** Off", and I remember To see tearing at these words.

Despite the sudden change in Moore's behavior and personality, his parents tried to be as comforting and helpful as possible, visiting him daily and entertaining him in his often incoherent conversations.

Unfortunately, his relationship did not survive, two weeks before the end of his nine-week stay at the hospital, his boyfriend confessed that he could not cope with the change that occurred in her .

"The illness has really changed who I am, and I think for a young relationship, it was too stressful," she said. "He came to visit me and started to cry and we decided that it would not go anymore, he left and I closed my curtains and I just started crying.

When she was finally released, Moore returned to live with her parents and, as her psychosis decreased, she could not work for 18 months because of her exhaustion and disorientation.

"For a long time, I had to rely on my mother to help me get dressed in the morning and make up my makeup," said Moore, who had a meteoric rise from the 8th to the 14th century . 10 months due to steroid treatment, said. "I felt so tired all the time, but my parents were great at getting up and doing things so that I did not just sit and wallow. really helped me get up, both emotionally and physically. "

First, in November 2017, he started working part time as a store employee. He was then able to resume full-time work as a sales consultant at travel agent Thomas Cook.

Then, in February 2017, despite the wish not to engage with another man, she met 25-year-old business assistant George Moore, who had attended school above her class, although they have never spoken before.


Meeting for the first time on Snapchat, the two men clicked and met for a coffee. They soon met and moved to Cirencester six months later.

"I told her everything about my encephalitis and what happened at this first meeting," she said. "He was brilliant and very encouraging, I fell in love with George and he made me feel so much better, he really tried to change things for me and help me recover. so important to overcome this nightmare.

"Sometimes it sounds a little strange, but he just said how much he thought I had to survive all that, and it made me feel really good in myself," she said. declared. "Now that I get back and I have George by my side, I am completely comfortable again in myself."

Click here for more information on encephalitis.