A 21-year-old Nepalese women death of asphyxiation in a crude "menstruation hut"After lighting a fire in the windowless space to stay warm, said the police.

The lifeless body of Parwati Bogati was found when her mother-in-law went to watch her.

A teenager dies in menstruation HUT

"She was excited about the next day as her period ended," said Laxmi Bogati at the Kathmandu Post. "The poor child has closed her eyes forever."

"We suspect that she died because of smoke inhalation and suffocation because she shut the door of the windowless hut and lit a fire on the floor during the night," she said. told AFP Lal Bahadur Dami, a local policeman.

The ancient – and illegal – practice known as Chhaupadi banishes women from their homes every month when they have their period.

A CAPTAIN IN AN AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT IN NEPAL SUFFERED A "DISTRIBUTION OF EMOTIONS": REPORT

Women are considered polluted, impure and toxic and must stay away from others in the village. This means that they are often banished to sleep on the outskirts of the village or in spaces as tiny as a closet. Most huts are made of mud and women inside often try to make a fire to keep warm in the icy cold of the Himalayas.

Women inside the huts can also be exposed to criminal attacks, the BBC reported. There have also been many cases of choking and a teenager was killed after being bitten by a snake.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The horrific incident comes just weeks after the death of a mother and her two sons in a similar hangar. This incident prompted officials in Bajura to give the villagers 10 days to demolish the menstrual huts or prosecute.