Here are 13 gruesome skin diseases you most certainly want to avoid. We sometimes forget that the skin is a major organ of the body and as such is susceptible to many weird and gruesome diseases. The following 13 all have one thing in common, they are extremely unpleasant.
1. Aquagenic Urticaria – Is a disease which when the skin comes in to contact with water results in harsh burning and itching. Drinking water can cause sliding of the throat and lead to shortness of breath. Showers can be a major problem causing pain to the eyes. Even tears on the face and sweating can trigger a reaction. Unfortunately there is no known cure.
2. Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis – Is a very rare inherited skin disorder that can result in wart-like lesions and viral warts appearing anywhere over the body. Unfortunately this is a lifelong disease with no known treatment preventing new breakouts. Apart from the obvious discomfort and appearance issues, the major issue is preventing the lesions from turning in to skin cancer.
3. Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bulosa – Is a skin disorder that is very rare but potentially fatal. It is a genetic condition which causes the skin to blister and very easily come away from the body with the smallest amount of contact. It is extremely painful and can leave sufferers with scarring and disfigurement.
4. Systemic Scieroderma – Is an auto-immune disease affecting the connective tissues of the skin. It can cause widespread hardening and tightness of the skin. This can result in swelling, redness and itching of the skin which can be extremely painful. At its worse, it can cause serious problems to major organs such as the lungs, heart or kidneys.
5. Leishmans – Is a disease caused by a sandfly bite. It can result in skin sores, ulcers and scaly ashen skin. At its worst it can affect the internal organs such as the liver and spleen.
6. Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis – Is a serious skin disease that has a 30 to 40% chance of death. It is a condition which causes the top layer of skin to detach from the lower layers of the skin. This can cause large areas of the skin to peel away from the body leaving sufferers susceptible to deadly infection.
7. Tungiasis – Is a skin disease resulting in an infection by sand fleas otherwise known as a Tunga penetrans flea. Symptons include severe pain, swelling and inflammation and ulcerations. The disease itself is not lethal, but mortality can occur from secondary infections.
8. Pemphigus Vulgaris – Is a very serious skin blistering condition that can be fatal if not treated. It usually occurs in people over the age of 50 and is not infectious. It is caused as a result of an auto-immune disease where the body's own tissues are attacked by the immune system.
9. Melanoma Skin Cancer – Is generally the most serious type of skin cancer. Ultra violet light is the main cause from either sunbeds or the sun. Sunburn basically means your chances of skin cancer have rough doubled. Melanoma picked up early can be treatable but at worst can be lethal.
10. Stevens-Johnson Syndrome – Is a potentially lethal skin disease. It is usually as a result of a drug reaction. Symptons can be as minor as coughs, headaches and a red rash on the face and body. More seriously this rash can turn in to blisters which can spread and become infected which can result in death.
11. Methicillin-Resistan Staphylococcus Aureus – Is a bacterian that often causes abscess formation on the skin. It is usually found on the skin and also in the nostrils area. It can enter the body through cuts and abrasions on the skin. In its worst form it can enter the bloodstream and result in serious infections such as pneumonia and bone infections.
12. Harlequin Ichthyosis – Is a serious genetic disorder affecting the skin that is incurable. Infants born with this condition, find their skin grows extremely fast into a thick crusty skin similar to armour. Because the skin is so thick and tight it restricts movement of legs and arms and causes the face and mouth to become extremely distorted. It is very unusual for a child with this condition to survive to discrimination.
13. Epidermis Bulosa – Is a disease of the connective tissues of the skin which causes blistering of the skin. Mild cases can result in blistering of the skin similar to that of a burn. More serious types can be lethal due to internal problems making swallowing and eating difficult.